- Primordial sea beast resembled ancient Greek warshipWASHINGTON (Reuters) - One of the earliest big predators to prowl Earth's primordial waters was a sea scorpion nearly 6 feet (1.7 meters) long whose body looked a bit like an ancient Greek warship....
- Cell phone video shows man lifting hands, then being shot by Texas deputies(CNN)Gilbert Flores is shirtless, running in front of a home in San Antonio as the two sheriff's deputies approach him. A minute later, he's putting his hands up. Then the shots ring out, and he falls to the ground. Cell phone video obtained by CNN affiliate KSAT appears to show sheriff's deputies in Bexar County, […]
- Kentucky clerk defies gay marriage court order again 'under God's authority'Rowan County clerk Kim Davis risks jail time or fines as she turned away several couples seeking marriage licenses Tuesday morning...
- 18 civilians killed in Saudi aerial raids across YemenAt least 18 civilians have been killed in Saudi airstrikes against residential areas across Yemen as part of Riyadh’s ongoing military campaign against its southern neighbor. On Tuesday, Saudi military aircraft bombarded Mukayras town in Yemen’s central province of al-Bayda, killing eleven people and injuring many more, Lebanon-based Arabic-language...
- Bangkok bombing: 'Main suspect' arrested near Cambodian borderThe man believed to be the main suspect in the bombing of a shrine in Bangkok that killed 20 people has been arrested. Thailand’s Prime Minister, Prayuth Chan-ocha, said police investigating his countries deadliest ever bombing was detained on the border with Cambodia, in Sa Kaeo province. Mr Prayuth said the main is the “main […]
- World shares drop after bleak China manufacturingTOKYO (AP) -- Global stock markets sagged Tuesday as gloomy manufacturing data from China and weak investment figures in Japan augured further uncertainty for investors after a brutal August. KEEPING SCORE: Britain's FTSE 100 fell 2.0 percent in early trading to 6,121.63 and Germany's DAX sagged 2.5 percent to 9,999.66. France's CAC 40 lost 2.3 […]
- The ghost of doping still haunts despite Worlds thrillerBEIJING, China (AFP) -- A thrilling world athletics championships in Beijing failed to silence growing questions about doping, giving the sport's new boss Sebastian Coe much to ponder as he heads towards an Olympic year. While sprinter Usain Bolt led a barrage of superstar performances at the Bird's Nest stadium, scepticism was also not hard […]
- The Russian Idol Three Times as Old as the PyramidsNew carbon dating places Siberia’s Shigir Idol at 11,000 years old, almost four times as old as Stonehenge and the Pyramids—but scientists are still puzzling over its secret symbols. An enigmatic wooden idol that has puzzled archaeologists since it was unearthed in a Siberian bog 125 years ago revealed a little more about itself last […]
- With glaciers as backdrop, Obama uses Alaska trip to push climate agendaBy Roberta Rampton ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - President Barack Obama arrived in Alaska on Monday for a three-day tour aimed at showing how the state's melting permafrost and eroding coastlines are a preview of bigger disasters to come unless the world does more to slow climate change. With 16 months left in office, Obama is […]
- Hundreds of refugees arrive in Vienna and MunichMore to this story France: Where refugees go to avoid 'the jungle' Figures show record influx of refugees into Europe Arrests made after 71 dead refugees found in Austria Trains from Hungary carrying hundreds of refugees started arriving in Vienna and Munich early on Tuesday, witnesses said. In the latest twist in a humanitarian and […]
- Primordial sea beast resembled ancient Greek warship