Man who taped Freddie Gray arrest said he was folded like a crab What’s Going On Baltimore Police Union Turns on Prosecutor Marilyn Mosby After Charges Announced Baltimore Police Union Turns on Prosecutor Marilyn Mosby After Charges Announced Dr Boyce Watkins: Stephen A Smith’s Baltimore comments were embarrassing and probably even racist Dr Boyce Watkins: Stephen A Smith’s Baltimore comments were embarrassing and probably even racist Baltimore State Senator Blasted for Hugging Protester Baltimore State Senator Blasted for Hugging Protester Reported Victor O. Kevin Moore, one of the two people who recorded the arrest of Freddie Gray on a cell phone, has told the Baltimore Sun that the African-American man was folded like “origami” by police. Gray died on Sunday, April 19 as a result of spinal cord injuries suffered in the course of his apparently brutal arrest by several Baltimore police officers on April 12.
Moore said he was sleeping in his place of residence at the Gilmor Homes complex on the morning of April 12 when he heard his uncle yell that Gray was being tased by the police. The 28-year-old, who is a friend of the Gray family, quickly jumped up, ran across the street and immediately started to record the arrest. Gray was already handcuffed and was face down on the ground when Moore arrived at the scene. A Baltimore bicycle police officer reportedly had his knee on Gray’s neck, while another bent his legs backward so that Gray’s heels were in his own back. “They had him folded up like he was a crab or a piece of origami. He was all bent up,” Moore told Baltimore Sun’s Catherine Rentz. Moore also said that Gray was in visible pain during the arrest. He said his friend, who suffered from asthma, told the police officers he could not breathe well and asked for a pump, but his request was turned down. Deputy Police Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez of the Baltimore City Police Department acknowledged at a press conference that Gray did ask for an inhaler. But he said the officers did not have an inhaler with them at the time of the arrest. In Moore’s video, which commenced with Gray already in the custody of the officers, the victim could be seen screaming in apparent pain as he was being taken to a police van with his legs dragging on the ground. After driving off from Presbury Street, Moore said the officers halted a block away at Mount and Baker streets to restrain Gray again with leg irons. He said he was unable to record further when he rushed down the block because the van was surrounded by cops, but he could see that his friend was not moving.
Moore and two of his friends who are a part of CopWatch, a group that advocates recording police arrests, were arrested Thursday. Moore told Vice that he felt it was a “witness intimidation” tactic and noted that police did not give him a citation. They released him, but his friends are still in custody. “They plastered my picture all over the internet hoping people would come forward and tell on me,” Moore said. “I gave them that video… They asked me, like, ‘You seem like you are a positive leader in your community.’ And [I was like], ‘Oh, so you know who I am?’ I’m not hiding, I’ve never been hiding.” Even though Moore’s account of the Gray arrest points in that direction that his spinal cord injury was due to being treated roughly by police, a medical examiner said that his wounds were actually due to Gray slamming into the door of the van while the vehicle made several stops before arriving at the Shock Trauma medical facility. He was not wearing a seat belt and is said to have been standing up at some point. On Friday, Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced that Gray’s death had been ruled a homicide and that the six officers involved will be charged with his death. Mosby said that Gray died from injuries following being “handcuffed, shackled by his feet and unrestrained” inside the van as it traveled. Transporting prisoners without placing them in proper restraints, like a seat belt, is against police policy.